Before we begin, it’s important to note that not all TP-Link routers are VPN compatible. For this guide, we’ll be using the Archer C5400X – a high-end gaming router that comes with built-in support for popular VPN protocols (IPsec and OpenVPN). If you’re using a different TP-Link router, please consult the user manual to see if it supports VPNs.
With that said, let’s get started!
Step 1: Download Your VPN Software
The first thing you’ll need to do is sign up for a reputable VPN service. We recommend ExpressVPN – it offers fast speeds, strong security features, and comes with easy-to-use software for all major platforms (Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android).
Once you have an account set up, head over to the ExpressVPN website and download the appropriate software for your platform.
If you want to use the TP-Link web interface, you need to log in to the web interface and go to the “VPN” section. From here, you can add a new VPN connection by clicking on the “+ Add” button.
Fill in all the required information for your VPN connection and then click on the “Save” button. Your TP-Link router will now be connected to your VPN network.
If you want to use the TP-Link Tether app, you need to first connect your TP-Link router to your computer using an Ethernet cable. Once your router is connected, open up the Tether app and go to the “Advanced” section.
From here, select “VPN” from the menu and then click on the “+ Add” button. Enter all of the required information for your VPN connection and then click on the “Save” button. Your TP-Link router will now be connected to your VPN network.
1. Log into the web interface for your TP-Link router. This can be done by entering the IP address of your router into a web browser. The default IP address is usually 192.168.0.1 .
2. Once logged in, look for the “VPN” section of the interface and click on it.
3. Now, click on the “Enable VPN Server” option and then choose which protocol you’d like to use for your VPN connection – PPTP or L2TP/IPSec (we recommend using L2TP/IPSec).
4) Enter a name for your VPN connection and then set up the username and password that you’ll use to connect. Make sure these are strong and unique passwords that aren’t used anywhere else!
5) Finally, select the “Apply” button at the bottom of the page to save your changes and enable the VPN server feature on your TP-Link router!
Thank your for reading!